Thursday, September 30, 2010

Come, O Sinner, Draw Near

In Isaiah 65:13-14 the Lord tells of all the good things that will come to His servants and all the evils that will befall those who reject Him: "Behold, My servants shall eat, but you shall be hungry; Behold, My servants shall drink, but you shall be thirsty...Behold, My servants shall sing for joy of heart, but you shall cry for sorrow of heart, and wail for grief of spirit."

This hymn invites every sinner to come to the Savior in repentance and faith and holds forth the wonderful blessings that will come to all who are God's servants through faith in Christ.

The second verse refers to God's Word as "bread for the soul."  Just as the manna sustained the children of Israel during their journey through the wilderness, God's Word sustains us, His servants, as we journey through this life.

The thought of the third verse is drawn from Jesus' answer to Pilate's question: "Are you a king then?" to which Jesus replied: "You say rightly that I am a king.  For this cause I was born, and for this cause I have come into the world, that I should bear witness to the truth," Jn. 18:37.  Jesus' kingdom is centered in the proclamation of the truth.  As we today bear witness to the truth that we have learned from God's Word, we reign with Christ and share in His ultimate victory.

To hear the melody of Come, O Sinner, Draw Near, click here. Verses one and two use the first ending, which is at the end of the first verse of the sample.  Verse three uses the second ending, which can be heard at the end of the second verse of the sample.


1. Come, O sinner, draw near,
Serve your God without fear;
Sight for blindness and healing kindness
The Savior gives to you here.

My servants shall see,
My servants shall know
My servants shall sing with my grace in their hearts.
My servants shall praise the blood of the Lamb,
Whose righteousness never departs.



2. Here is bread for the soul,
Here, the food that makes whole;
Joy and strength to endure at length
And attain the heavenly goal.

My servants shall eat;
My servants shall drink;
My servants shall sing for the joy in their hearts;
My servants shall sit and feast with the Lamb,
Whose fellowship never departs.


3. Here is wisdom and pow’r,
Light for life’s darkest hour,
Truth revealed, an enduring shield
And an everlasting tower.

My servants shall live;
My servants shall reign;
My servants shall speak with the truth in their hearts,
My servants shall share the throne of the Lamb,
Whose victory never departs.

No comments:

Post a Comment