Thursday, September 30, 2010

Dear Lord, in This, Your Wondrous World

This hymn summarizes a number of the Bible's teachings about our bodies.  Our bodies were created and formed by God.  Even in their condition after the Fall into sin, our bodies are an impressive display of God's wisdom and power.  Our Savior's work of redemption was aimed at redeeming our bodies as well as our souls from the ravages of sin.  Our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit and are to be His instruments for righteousness.  Finally, though our bodies are headed toward death and decay, the returning Lord will raise them up and glorify them on the last day.

To listen to the melody of Dear Lord, in Your Creation, click here.  To view the musical score, click here.


Dear Lord, in this, Your wondrous world,
  You made a place for me.
You clothed me with my flesh and blood,
  This earthly tent I see. (2 Peter 1:13-14).

You formed me in my mother’s womb;
  Your hands composed my frame;
How wonderful, that hidden work --
  A tribute to Your name!  (Ps. 139:13-16)

How good and strong was flesh and blood
  When Eden first began!
How pale the shadow with us now,
  How weak and full of pain!

This body, once a slave of sin,
  Corrupt in many ways,
My Savior for himself redeemed
  To serve him all my days.

Within this ransomed body now
  His Holy Spirit dwells;
The glory of his truth and grace
  This sacred temple fills. (1 Cor. 6:19-20)

To righteousness I now present
  My head and heart and hands,
My every member now is his,
  To follow his commands. (Rom. 6:12-13)

Soon, soon, I must put off this tent
  And leave it in its grave,
And yet my flesh will rest in hope
  Of Jesus’ power to save.

Though sin’s corruption creeps upon
  This fragile lump of clay,
A sure redemption waits my flesh
  On that triumphant day!

How lowly is this body now,
  How glorious it will be!
Conformed to Christ and free from sin
  For all eternity! (Phil. 3:20-21)

No comments:

Post a Comment