Thursday, September 30, 2010

Song of Abraham

Abraham is the father of all who are being saved through faith in Christ.  His life consisted of hearing the promises of God, taking them to heart, and acting upon them.  His faith was counted to him as righteousness.

God spoke to Abraham at key points in his life's journey, and there is much that we can learn for our own journey by paying close attention to those words.

This hymn is sung to the melody of "Not Unto Us," hymn 392 in Christian Worship.


God spoke to me when in my father’s house I dwelt:
Go forth,” said He, “Trust Me to guide you well.
Go to a land, a land that I will show to you,
And I will make a blessing of you.”  (Gen 12)

God spoke to me when in this world a stranger I roamed:
Look round and see; for all is yours in Me –
Walk in this land, Walk here by faith and you will receive
The heritage that to you I leave.”  (Gen 13)

God spoke to me when deepest doubting filled my soul:
Look toward the sky, its starry host behold;
I made them all – Trust Me and I will give to you
A countless host of children true.”  (Gen 15)

God spoke to me when in the hour of trial I stood
And raised my hand in highest love to Him:
Harm not your son! See, I Myself have given
My own dear Lamb to die for you.”  (Gen 22)

God spoke to me – His word alone was courage and power
To bear me home in dark Machpelah’s hour:
You are my friend; you trusted Me and counted Me true,
My righteousness I will count to you.”  (Gen 25; James 2:23; Is. 41:8)

God speaks to you – in messages most precious and sweet,
In Moses’ words and through the prophets’ speech;
Oh, hear His words, make them your life, and gathered you’ll be
To our dear Father’s bosom with me.  (Lk 16:29)

No comments:

Post a Comment