Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Mountains Melt Like Wax

This hymn focuses, first, on the fearful prospect of standing in the presence of the all-knowing, all-powerful Judge of the earth, and then on the comforting truth that our Savior has ascended to heaven, where He stands as our Advocate before God's throne.  This Gospel message fills us with hope, so that we can say:  "In Your presence is fullness of joy, at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore" Psalm 16:11.

To listen to the melody, click here.  To view the musical score, click here.

The mountains melt like wax
  Before Your presence, Lord,
The whole earth trembles at Your voice
  And fears Your sovereign word. (Ps. 97:5)

Is there no place to hide?
  Where can I flee Your face?
In earth and all the universe
  There is no hidden place.  (Ps. 139:7)

Before You all will stand
  And tremble at Your might;
Before You, Lord, no one can boast
  Or claim a due or right.  (1 Cor. 1:29)

And here am I, O Lord --
  My sins before You stand.
Will I be driven from Your sight
  And perish at Your hand?

Thanks be to Christ, our Lord,
   Who now in heav’n appears,
Who stands before God’s mercy-seat
   And calms my inmost fears. (Hebr. 9:24)

Your righteousness, O Christ,
   Brings favor from God’s throne;
Your holy blood pays all my debt
   And makes God’s house my home.

With heaven’s joy I come
   Into Your presence now;
New songs of thankfulness I sing
    As at Your feet I bow.  (Ps. 16:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment